
The Nutcracker~It was a joy to watch Hannah perform in the Nutcracker. She had wonderful stage presence and was appropriately dramatic. She definitely got her parents dramatic genes. She was beautiful and I was so proud of her. The best moment though, was during her last performance. She had been battling the stomach flu and wasn't her usual bouncy self. After she finished her time on stage she sat quietly on my lap watching the remainder of the performance. She would whisper things to me, but she sat so peaceful and sweet in my arms. The boys were down below with Danny and my parents. It was a precious moment with my only daughter--one that doesn't come very often! With two younger siblings and boundless energy we don't often get the time for cuddling. So I treasure that memory.
Presents--I know that the meaning of Christmas has very little, if anything, to do with my kids getting presents. But let's face it, we've made it a highlight in our culture. I remember the giddy excitement as a kid. And it was even better on the other side. I loved watching my kids open their presents! They had waited all day with such eager anticipation! I knew they were going to love them, and I was not disappointed, and neither were they! We give each child three presents, signifying the thre gifts given to baby Jesus by the magi. And we give them to them in order of increasing excitement, so the last gift is the best! We videotaped the three oldest ones getting their last gifts (Noah's gifts this year consisted mainly of a bunk bed and bedding stuff to go with it). Moses got the snare drum part of his drum set (the rest to follow at his birthday Jan. 30). His response, "What?! A drum?!" Hannah received the only thing she had been asking for, even demanding--the Luciana barbie princess "with nothing" (meaning no accessories). She hugged the box. And Josiah received the entire first season of Star Wars the Clone Wars, all 22 episodes on DVD. He didn't even know it exsisted so he was beside himself with excitement!
The Nativity--And I don't mean the movie, although it is a family tradition to watch it each year (as well as White Christmas--not as spiritual but oh so fun!) It has been a tradition for as long as I can remember that my siblings and I act out the nativity story for my dad each Christmas before opening gifts. It was always a big surprise who was playing which roles and as the years went on the costumes became more elaborate. Eventually we let the grand kids take over--there are eight, soon to be nine. At the Smith family Christmas we let Josiah and Hannah play Joseph and Mary, Judah was baby Jesus, and the Moses, Jonah, and Noah were three magi, complete with t-shirt turbans and plastic beads of gold, frankensense, and myrrh. For the Marshall family Christmas Noah was Joseph and Abby (age 2 1/2) was Mary!! They were too cute!!! Hannah was the angel of the Lord, Elijah, Moses, and Maddux were the shepherds, and Josiah and Israel were the magi complete with African "royal" shirts, and some "interesting" props for gold, frankensense and myrrh.
Presents--I know that the meaning of Christmas has very little, if anything, to do with my kids getting presents. But let's face it, we've made it a highlight in our culture. I remember the giddy excitement as a kid. And it was even better on the other side. I loved watching my kids open their presents! They had waited all day with such eager anticipation! I knew they were going to love them, and I was not disappointed, and neither were they! We give each child three presents, signifying the thre gifts given to baby Jesus by the magi. And we give them to them in order of increasing excitement, so the last gift is the best! We videotaped the three oldest ones getting their last gifts (Noah's gifts this year consisted mainly of a bunk bed and bedding stuff to go with it). Moses got the snare drum part of his drum set (the rest to follow at his birthday Jan. 30). His response, "What?! A drum?!" Hannah received the only thing she had been asking for, even demanding--the Luciana barbie princess "with nothing" (meaning no accessories). She hugged the box. And Josiah received the entire first season of Star Wars the Clone Wars, all 22 episodes on DVD. He didn't even know it exsisted so he was beside himself with excitement!
Family time!! I love my family--all 24+ of them!!! We spent wonderful times of fellowship with both sides of our family--eating delicious meals, sharing memories, playing lots of fun games of Catan, double deck bid euchre, Apples to Apples, the name game, and even a little mafia (which I personally dislike)! The kids all had a wonderful time playing with their cousins. I love being part of a big family and watching the blessings just multiply. There are people we miss every year. I missed Danny's mom Ardy a lot this year. . . and my neice Zoe. . . and nephew Micah. . . and my grandma Marshall. . . I think of people who are suffering so much, especially those who do not have the family blessings I have, and it makes me that much more grateful!
It was a blessed Christmas. And now the house is slowly getting put back in order. We are enjoying the few quiet days left of break. We are preparing to ring in the new year at David and Christina's. We are planning to celebrate all our January birthdays. And we are continually rejoicing in Emmanuel--God with us, now and forever. And as my husband told our kids, we not only celebrate Jesus coming as a baby, but we eagerly anticipate His return. Come Lord Jesus, Come!
No comments:
Post a Comment