Whew! This has been quite a week. I knew going into it that it was going to be hectic. Noah had his EUA at Riley on Tuesday; Hannah had Nutcracker rehearsal Tuesday and Wednesday evenings and matinee performances all day Thursday and performances on Friday and Saturday; Josiah had basketball practice Friday night and his last game Saturday morning. All of this caused several scheduling/transportation conflicts for all the chidlren, including my nephews whom I watch Tuesdays and Wednesdays. And all that was coming after a very busy weekend of Jarbowl, more Nutcracker practice, and Danny's Mission Christmas party. . . the party I never went to. Because Moses started puking. And my week got even crazier!!
I hate throwing up. I would rather have influenza and chills and headache than throw up. I usually lay and will myself not to throw up. But I also know that once I do I usually feel better. Not Moses. He threw up three times Sunday, seemed fine on Monday, then felt sick on Tuesday and threw up just as the babysitter showed up. SIGH. Then he felt sick all day Wednesday and threw up again Thursday morning. I was beginning to wonder if he had food poisoning when Noah threw up--Wednesday night (while our friends were over playing Catan with us). So then I was worried about the rest of my kids, especially Hannah and her big ballet performances! How sad for her to have to miss those magical experieneces. And family had already made plans and bought tickets and . . .
On Friday I felt sick. But I told my stomach that we had no time to be sick and that I must stay well. The bunk beds were delivered and set up. Hannah had a wonderful Nutcracker performance. . .then she felt sick. And she threw up in the middle of the night. Why is it always the middle of the night?!
She seemed a little better Saturday morning so we went ahead and took her to Josiah's game so we could all see him in his last game. And my parents were planning to drive down to see her in the Nutcracker that afternoon and then take us all out to eat--a TREAT!! Danny and I both just wanted to be able to continue with life as normal. But puke isn't something you can just work around! However, Hannah was determined that she could make it through her Nutcracker performance. So she did. And my parents came. Grace got off work early. We enjoyed a wonderful dinner together at Amazing Joe's Grill. And Josiah said his stomach hurt. We put two kids to bed last night with "puke buckets." And my stomach still didn't like me. When Danny and I went to bed last night I was 90% sure we would be up in the night with someone (or myself!)
But this morning all the kids slept past 8 and noone (not even me!) threw up in the night. Now, we're still not sure about our stomachs. . . some of us haven't eaten breakfast. Some of us have had issues at the other end. . . and we didn't go to church so as not to infect anyone else, which caused its own issues since I'm nursery coordinator and scheduled to be in the nursery today. . .
I think we're going to make it out of this, hopefully in time to welcome my brother Seth home from Iraq tomorrow. But it's been crazy, to say the least. I have felt overwhelmed to the point of tears. But we made it through. I'm sure some would say we were crazy and irresponsible to let our daughter do all the things she did Saturday. But we taught her perseverance and that she can be stronger than she thinks. And we made wonderful memories and enjoyed ourselves despite all the puking. (And we did not force her to do anything--she did it all of her own volition).
It hasn't felt much like Christmas though. I long for a relaxed evening sitting by the light of the tree, drinking hot cocoa and listening to Christmas music. Tonight we plan to paint our Christmas tree ornaments we made and make Christmas candy to pass out to our neighbors. It will feel festive. We have an incredible week planned ahead of us. But as we tell our children often, "We hold all things loosely."
And in the midst of all the busyness and festivities I want to remind myself that the reason for the season is NOT gifts or hot cocoa and peppermint candy canes. It's not about beautiful Christmas trees and music. It's not even about traditions or family, although those are wonderful. It's about God becoming flesh, Emmanuel God with us. It's about a woman named Mary who was probably young and scared and outcast giving birth in a stable because there was no room for her in the inn. It's about a man named Joseph who was obedient to the word of the LORD that came to him through an angel in a dream--that he should keep Mary, eventhough her baby wasn't his. It's the beginning of the most incredible story ever told of God becoming a helpless, tiny babe to grow to be man--just so He could die on a cross to take the punishment for my sin. May that story never grow old or cease to cause awe for me.
Sunday, December 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Pat: "I wonder if Jesus ever puked."
ReplyDeleteLezlie: "For some reason, that makes me feel sorrier for him than the fact that He died on the cross."