Then Yahweh made a woman [issa] from the rib He had taken out of the man, and He brought her to the man. The man said,'This is now bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called "woman,"for she was taken out of man." Genesis 2:20-24

"But we were gentle among you, like a mother [trophos] caring for her little children." 1 Thessalonians 2:7

Issa Trophos

Issa Trophos

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

A New Kind of Normal


One weekend can change a lot. . .
On Wednesday of last week we received an email from some friends letting us know that a mutual friend of ours was sort of stranded in the US, living in a hotel. The Spirit led us immediately to offer our home to them. Without hestitation we did. And they accepted the offer. They arrived very late on Friday night with their two small children. We don't know what the future holds, how long they will be with us--whether just a week or months. But we do know that the LORD is in control. We have already been so blessed to have this sweet family in our home, in our lives. We are enjoying all of the cross cultural and communal aspects it brings, and walking along beside them as they try and discern their future. But it is also a big thing to have four new people LIVING with us!


Then on the fourth of July as we were relaxing on the front porch and contemplating our evening activities, Danny got a call from the Mission telling him the building was on fire! I had been in the backyard filling up the kiddie pool when I heard sirens--a lot of them. I thought, "Wow! something really big must be happening." When I got the news that it was the Mission I looked in the sky and saw the smoke billowing in the direction of the Mission. My heart sank. I felt sick to my stomach.
The Mission has a brand new building that has been occupied for less than two years. It was a major project in every way and it is a beautiful building that can house around 80 men who are homeless or in need of recovery from addictions. We have been blessed to be a part of this ministry. It seemed such a senseless loss, so agravating. And selfishly one of my first thoughts was if Danny's job might be in jeopardy.
Luckily, the fire, which started on the outside, possibly sparked by a firework and fueled by a gas leak, did not do as much damage at it first looked like it might. But then there is water damage also, from the firemen's hoses. The future at this point is uncertain, but sure to involve some "stress." I remembered when the building was first coming to completion Danny was very busy and sometimes "stressed" at work. Now I fear we are back to the beginning in many ways.

Danny just came home (exhausted) for a very short break, mainly to change out of the wet socks he had from walking around in the flooded building. . . When I asked him if he had done anything "normal" today he just looked at me and repeated back to me my recent quote, "There's a new kind of normal." Life at the mission is very different now than it was Friday. And life at the Smith house is a lot different too. As we adjust to living with one another we are creating a "new kind of normal."


In the midst of all this I am continually reminded to be thankful for my blessings. My run down urban neighborhood has actually been a place of solace and retreat for our house guests. Hearing their stories and knowing their uncertain future I am reminded of the blessings of my American freedom, relative peace and protection and prosperity. The fire brought many organizations across the city together as they worked to assist the homeless. We felt a sense of unity. We are all brothers and sisters in the Body of Christ and we are blessed to be sharing in life together.

No comments:

Post a Comment