
Today was the triathlon. The triathlon that I have been reluctantly committed to, terrified of, and pretty much dreading for most of the spring. I kept thinking that my summer would really begin when the triathlon was over, because then and only then would I be able to relax and enjoy myself. Until then it was like a dark cloud on my horizon. I have never claimed to be an optimist. And although I often consider myself a "realist", there are those times when I'm just a down right pessimist--Puddleglum as my husband says. "I'll probably drown, I shouldn't wonder. I'll probably blow a tire, I shouldn't wonder."
I have always had a fear of the unknown and competing in an athletic event I never have is very unknown. I also have not been gifted with my husband's confidence and pride. I really wasn't sure if I could do it, especially since all my "open water swim practices" leading up to today had been chaos.
Life has been crazy lately. And it was God's grace to keep me preoccupied so I didn't have time to be nervous. In fact, even as we woke up this morning and prepared, drove to the race, got ourselves ready, watched the start of the race before ours, I felt an unusual sense of peace.
And then before I knew it it was showtime!
My strategy as of late for the swim was to be the last one in the water--at the back of the pack and TAKE IT SLOW. I could be a fast swimmer, but I did not need to stress out and cause a panic attack. I have thought all along if I made it out of the water I would be SO HAPPY. And guess what? I made it out of the water! In fact, the swim was smooth sailing for me!
And the bike portion felt good.
This race has been a spiritual journey for me. I knew that I could not in and of myself do this race. I didn't have the strength. But I was trusting that God could help me. He was my coach. When I felt overwhelming fear I knew I was supposed to give it over to God and let Him be my peace. I know some of you may think it strange that an athletic event could be "spiritual." But it was for me. The best moment was during the bike. The day was perfect--beautiful, sunny, not too hot and the ride went around the resevoir through beautiful country. As I rode along I suddenly sensed Jesus running along beside me (He can run really well!) and saying, "Good job Nichole! I'm so proud of you!" He was my biggest encourager and the strength and peace I needed to complete this event. Throughout the last week the song that has been going through my head was the Stephen Curtis Chapman song, "His Strenght is Perfect":
I can do all things, through Christ who gives me strength,
but sometimes I wonder what He can do through me.
No great success to show, no glory on my own,
but in my weakness He is there to let me know--
His strength is perfect when our strength is gone.
He'll carry us when we can't carry on.
Raised in His power, the weak become strong
His strength is perfect. . .
And His strength (and peace) was perfect for me today!
He has also blessed me with the greatest lil' fan club! I was so relieved to see my four beautiful children and my sister Grace arrive just as we were getting into the water. My sister amazingly woke up all my children, got them ready, drove them to the race, and watched after them throughout the race. She also made me a t-shirt and wore it to show her support. My father-in-law and mother-in-law, my sister-in-law and nephews were also there, as were some people from our church. So I was well supported. Best of all was my amazing husband, who has believd in me all along--especially when I didn't believe in myself. Although there were times I was annoyed with his prodding and pushing, he has been a great trainer. As I was making my way throught the last 1/2 of the run, he came running along beside me and finished the race with me. He my biggest fan (besides Jesus) and I am so glad he put up with my fears and complaining and pushed me to try something new because he believed I really could do it.
I finished in 1:30:37 which felt really amazing to me!
Thank you God for the strength and peace to finish the race!
I was just one of the people who were very proud of you for hanging in there and doing this. Way to go, Nichole.
ReplyDeleteDude, I'm so excited that you did this! Wish I could've been one of the people there cheering you on. While we were in Rio this past week, there was a marathon there, so maybe next year you can come here and we can run together ;)
ReplyDeleteLove you, sister, and I'm so thankful to hear about how the Lord is continuing to draw you to himself! Hopefully we can catch up some more on skype sometime soon! Peace