Then Yahweh made a woman [issa] from the rib He had taken out of the man, and He brought her to the man. The man said,'This is now bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called "woman,"for she was taken out of man." Genesis 2:20-24

"But we were gentle among you, like a mother [trophos] caring for her little children." 1 Thessalonians 2:7

Issa Trophos

Issa Trophos

Friday, June 6, 2014

The unrelenting love of God


One of my current favorite worship choruses is "You Won't Relent" by Jesus Culture. The chorus says "You won't relent until You have it all. My heart is Yours." Then there is a verse that says, "I'll set you as a seal upon my heart, as a seal upon my arm; for there is love that is as strong as death, jealousy demanding as the grave. For many waters cannot quench this love." Words taken straight from Song of Songs 8:6-7, where the beloved says, "Place me like a seal over your heart, like a seal on your arm; for love is as strong as death, its jealousy unyielding as the grave. It burns like blazing fire, like a mighty flame. Many waters cannot quench love; rivers cannot sweep it away."

In the past I have always taken this verse to mean I am the one placing God as a seal upon my heart and arm. Because that's how I view life--it's up to me to do everything, to make everything right. When we sang this last Sunday I suddenly heard God whisper to me, "No Nichole, I am the one that places you as a seal upon MY heart, upon MY arm. My love is stronger than death--because I died for you. It is stronger than the grave--because I rose again. Many waters cannot quench MY love for you." And in that moment I was overwhelmed with the unrelenting love of God. This has been a continual theme in my life. God has been constantly trying to tell me that it has NOTHING TO DO WITH ME, but EVERYTHING TO DO WITH HIM. I am stubborn and there is a lifetime of established thoughts and habits to overcome. But in moments like this He is gently reminding me that HE loves me just because I am His own.

"This is love: not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins." 1 John 4:10

No comments:

Post a Comment