Last week my baby turned 3. He is almost completely potty trained, moved out of his car seat into a big boy booster seat, and is becoming more socially independent, although he still remains my shyest child (which is NOT saying much in the Smith family!) But I have trained him to say he's still mommy's baby, although he still likes to remind me every once in a while that he's not a baby. Yes, I know, you're not a baby, but you'll always be my baby.
At this time of year I am reminded of all the miracles God has performed in Noah's life. When I was just a few months along in my fourth pregnancy I woke up in the middle of the night with bleeding. Having never experienced anything like it in my previous pregnancies I could only assume I was miscarrying. I woke up Danny, cradled my belly, and cried for the baby I thought was dying. The next day when I went to the doctor's office I was frustrated with what I perceived to be the nurse's total lack of sympathy as she treated me like a normal patient when inwardly I was screaming, "I'm losing my baby!" But then the doctor came in with her portable ultrasound machine, flipped a button, and there was my baby's heart beating healthy and strong.
Months later, after my most difficult and painful labor and delivery, I gave birth to my biggest baby at 8 lbs. 12 oz. Because he was considered large for his gestational age they monitored his blood sugar--which meant getting pricked in the foot after every feeding. So at birth Noah became accustomed to being poked and prodded.
Two years ago at his one year check up was when the roller coaster of glaucoma hit us. Through it all Noah has been calm. He shows a strong tolerance for pain and a patience for all things medically related. And he loves to praise Jesus, even at 11 pm after trips to the ER. He has been given a clean bill of health for his eyes, and even his near sightedness could be an inherited trait from yours truly.
God has worked so much through his life, and I continue to pray that just like the man born blind in John 9, that Noah will fall down at the feet of Jesus and worship Him no matter what!
Soon I will have a 7 year old, a 5 year old. . . and in June my biggest baby turns 10! Double digits seems so old!! We are entering a new phase in the Smith family.
The other night I was feeling exceptionally tired and "spent." Wednesdays are very long days for me and by Wednesday night I am usually exhausted and emotionally spent. But by the time Danny comes home there are only 20 minutes before he leaves again for Bible study. On this particular Wednesday night I informed him that I needed a break, even if it was only for 10 minutes. So I shut myself in my dark bedroom with the fan going and lay on my bed embracing the peace and solitude. Minutes later I realized that it was way past time for Danny to leave for Bible study. I assumed he had realized how spent I was and decided to stay home. Then a few minutes later Josiah knocked on my door and asked if I could come downstairs. All along the kids had been quietly and peacefully entertaining themselves, even making themselves peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Then for the next 20 minutes while I chatted on the phone with my sister, they continued to play quietly and happily together. I was one proud momma! I was amazed at the maturity and compassion my children showed! I am blessed. . . and we are definitely entering a new phase in our family's life!
Friday, January 14, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment